Insurance provides us with financial security in the event of loss of life, disaster like Hurricane or fire, car wreck and others. However, many people some unusual and strange insurance policies which you might have never heard of.
Listed below are some rather unusual, weird and strange insurance policies bought by people.
1. Body Parts: Insuring of body parts is not new, many celebrities have insured their body parts so that they can recover damage done to their prized body parts due to unfortunate accident.
“Ugly Betty” star America Ferrera’s smile was insured staggering for $10 million, Supermodel Heidi Klum insured her valuable legs for $2.2 million and Jennifer Lopez has $27 million insurance policy on her butt. If you thought that this is enough, NFL star player Troy Polamalu got his flowing locks of black hair insured for $1 million.
2. Cigars: A lawyer from North Carolina insured an expensive pack of cigars against fire and other damage. The lawyer smoked the cigar himself and filed an insurance claim stating that cigars were lost in fire. The term fire was not clearly defined and hence the insurance company had to pay him a compensation of $15,000. The lawyer was later arrested and charged of arson and insurance fraud.
3. Alien Abduction: For those who believe in aliens, there are insurance companies which offer coverage on alien abduction insurance. More than $10 million dollars in alien abduction insurance has been written with higher payouts in case of abduction.
4. Immaculate Conception: In 2006 three sisters from Scotland Catholic Church were insured against a possibility of Virgin birth in the event of second incarnation of Jesus Christ. However, the policy was later withdrawn complains from Catholic Christian Society.
5. Wedding Insurance: Wedding insurance is in great demand in the US. A wedding insurance covers you against cancellation of wedding due to injury, sickness, bankruptcy or severe weather. Recently, many wedding insurance policies have started providing coverage in the event that the would-be bride or groom has a “change of heart” leaves the altar and no longer wants to get married.
6. Supernatural Attacks: If you watch too much of television and movies and believe in existence of super natural creatures as vampires, werewolves and ghosts then there is an insurance for you. Lloyd’s of London has sold many policies to protect policy holders in the event of such types of attacks. To collect the insurance the survivor will have to show the proof they being attacked by such creatures and the fund will be transferred to them.
7. Loch Ness Monster: The mysterious Loch Ness Monster has been debated a lot in numerous insurance policies. In 2006 100 triathletes swimming in Loch Ness were insured for $1 million each against Loch Ness Monster bites. Scottish Cruise company Jacobite Cruises has insured its fleets against any damage from the monster.
Insurance claims are not so boring, after all!